Tuesday 23 August 2011

Korea 2011: This little piggy went to market

There is nothing quite like the delight of being upgraded from Economy Class to First Class.  Yes!  

Mr Ellis kindly collected me from home and took me to Cape Town International Airport.  From there, I boarded a plane to Dubai.  Emirates is a really good airline to travel with.  I sat in Economy class, got my nicely warmed, damp hand towel, and my little travel case with flight socks, fold-up toothbrush and eye mask for sleeping.  On my chair were my blanket and cushion.  It was a good flight.

I had a short stopover in Dubai, and then the magic happened.  My seat was upgraded:
Picture of a First Class possie flying Emirates between Dubai and Seoul

Me in my first class possie
 I could literally lie full length with my feet tucked under the 'desk' on which the TV stood.

Brekkies

Lunch
I rarely watch TV, so after browsing through the programs, movies, etc., I stretched myself out comfortably and slept.  What a luck!

When I got to Seoul, Dani was waiting patiently for me at the gate where we had arranged to meet.  For a singularly unseasoned traveller, I had been absolutely terrified of navigating my way around airports where I could not speak the language, nor read the signposts.  It was, as everyone had predicted, effortless and not daunting at all.  We then caught the bus from Incheon to Cheonho, and then the subway from Cheonho to Amsa where Dani stays.  Dani kindly carried my rucksack when necessary.

My introduction to Seoul, Korea was my very first exposure to Korea.  I was singularly impressed.  The bus was positively luxurious in comparison to what I am used to.  There was a section of the sitting part of the bus allocated for luggage.  As crime is simply not an issue in Korea generally, one simply dropped ones luggage in the appropriate section, and then dropped one's butt into an extremely comfortable seat.  The drive from Incheon to Cheonho is very scenic.  Incheon is an island adjoined to Seoul with a highway built over the water between the two.  I regret that for this part of my trip, my camera was tucked away in my bag, both on arrival and departure.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This DOES make travelling a lot more exciting! What did you do to get upgraded? Long legs?

    ReplyDelete